In the work area runoff-simulation we develop control concepts and conduct rainfall-runoff-simulations in small flowing waters and in urban areas. Especially by dealing intensively with sewer systems, layout data and real measured data there are always differences, which can lead to an operating update of sewer systems (control of urban drainage systems). Many of our projects have shown, that measured data as well as layout basis (dry-weather-runoff, sealed surfaces) have to be thoroughly questioned if a network planning should be done.
Rainfall-Runoff-Simulationto project overview runoff-simulation
This working area deals with the construction and use of rainfall-runoff-simulations for different applications (e.g. flood warning, design of water structures, rehabilitation of waterways). Rainfall-runoff-models reproduce the flow of creeks and rivers and require data from the catchment area, rainfall and climatological time series and hydraulic conditions of the creeks. The following example shows the application of a rainfall-runoff-model for the Heilsau catchment (a tributary of the Trave river).
Hydraulic stress in flowing waters
Hydraulic stress in flowing waters due to discharges from residential areas is an important problem for the aquatic fauna in the rivers and creeks.
In Germany, these following three regulations deal with this problem:
- ATV M 153
- BWK M 3
- LANU M 2
The University of Applied Sciences Luebeck has investigated the three regulations for the Schleswig-Holstein state authority for Nature and Environment (LANU). The analysis concerned several creeks and rivers in Schleswig-Holstein.
The investigation of the Heilsau catchment took place within the scope of diploma work at the einfalt & hydrotec GbR. The effectiveness of the regulations was checked with the help of the Rainfall-Runoff-Model NASIM.
The following steps were carried out:
- Data collection for the simulation:e.g. land use, catchment boundaries and parameters, rainfall time series, soil types
- Evaluation and preparation of the data for the rainfall-runoff simulations with NASIM
- Calibration of the rainfall-runoff model at the water level gauging station Zarpen
- Simulation of different discharges in five scenarios:
- Potential natural condition
- Actual condition
- ATV M 153
- LANU M 2
- BWK M 3
- Evaluation of the results with respect to the effectiveness of the regulations for the creeks
The used software in this project:
- NASIM ® : Rainfall-Runoff-Model
- TimeView ® : Time series processing, viewer and data formatting
- Arcview ® : Geographic information system
NASIM and TimeView are branded marks by Hydrotec
Arcview is a branded mark by ESRI
Real-time control of urban sewer systemsto the project overview
Real-time control of urban sewer systems is a means to a more efficient use of transport and storage capacities in order to achieve water quality and water quantity objectives. Criteria can be formulated independently from technical water quality and water quantity goals. Recent developments tend to include the whole system of drainage system, waste water treatment plant and receiving water in the formulation of water quality objectives. The tasks to be accomplished are:
- Simplified estimation of control possibilities according to a rating system of the German ATV 1.2.4 working group
- Assessment of the real-time control potential through long term simulation
- Definition of control priorities
- Determination of control rules
- Verification of control rules
- Cost-benefit analysis / feasibility of construction works